Monday, July 16, 2007

1984

I went to Target yesterday and the first thing I noticed was the camera and screen situated right above the entrance. Not only was my entrance monitored, but the cameras throughout the entire store recorded my every move. The employee at the exit door also took my receipt and went through my bag of purchases. Sure, this is all done for the sake of security, but can't I buy what I need without having someone go through my stuff and scrutinize my every move?

Later in the day, I went to see Harry Potter at the theatres. I came a bit early and watched as countless amounts of propaganda were played before the previews. From the Army, to the Marines, to the National Guard...everything was glorified and depicted as heroic, fulfilling, and motivating. In one of the commercials that was played, I remember seeing a child handing over a flower to a compassionate American soldier bearing an enormous gun. Is that really how it's going to be if I decided to join the armed forces?

From shopping to going to the movies...these little things in life can be relatable to 1984. Though everything in 1984 is a bit more extreme (such as the telescreens monitoring every move, hearing every word), it is fair to say that there are some aspects of our lives that aren't entirely devoid of surveillance and scrutiny. Also, whether we are aware of it or not, we are constantly being exposed propaganda (military) and commercials/ads that seek to make us behave a certain way. For example, when you see an ad that glorifies the armed forces like I did in the theater, doesn't it make you believe that joining the army is going to give you feelings of great satisfaction? It tries to persuade you in a way that makes you fail to recognize the harsher realities of joining the armed forces, such as war, violence, and possibly death. Or what about when you see an ad at 1 AM in the morning about a weight loss pill that claims to be fast, safe, and effective? They entire ad is glorified in a way that you may fail to recognize that weight loss pills are usually ineffective and dangerous substitutions for healthy diet and exercise. My point is, like the society in 1984, we can be just as easily brainwashed to the workings of our government without being aware of it. It seems crazy, but it is possible.

3 comments:

Sean Park said...

now that you mention it, I have always been one of thoe people that look at the TV screens at Target and try to see myself in it with the video camera. I always just looked at it as a fun way to see myself but after reading this novel, i realized that those video cameras at Target along with the television screens are so similar to the telescreens in 1984.

Melissa said...

In class we had the group in class project on the book 1984 and i remember martin stating that winstons idea with the dream about "we shall meet in a place where there is no darkness" and it being o'brein voice ... I believe he said that winston is unreliable with knowing what was what due to the whole memory problem. And from What i know and failed to mention in class was that dreams that we have that are so vivid and real that when we do remember we had that dream we remember the littlest detail of it and sometimes it inner twines with some reality of our lives. and for o'brein when he was writting in the journal about obrien it click to him then about that dream and how it was the voice of obrien that he hear say that statement. and i still believe it was a dream and that it was connect strongly with his future inner action that he will have with obrien.

JenniferLee said...

Haha yeah, I do look int he cameras in Target, but now, I guess I shouldn't? This whole commercial ads are the only way to get other people's attention. Isn't it?