Friday, July 13, 2007

This Says It All....

This blog contains some great reading. I hope you are reading all of these, just as I am. Every now and then I will feature a particularly terrific posting and invite as many as possible of you to respond to it. This week I will feature Betty's terrific response to the question of our freedom. Betty wrote:
I feel free enough. I mean, ideally none of us would have to worry about getting parking tickets, running late for class, or even being brainwashed by Tommy Hilfiger ads, but I guess that's all stuff we've learned to live with.

I think the older we get, the more responsibilities we take on and with all of these new responsibilities, we feel less and less free. At least I do. I feel like as I grow and mature and learn new things, there are new standards constantly being placed on me and I have to live up to them. Well, we're always trying to strive for more and climb higher oh whatever ladder we're climbing, so it's like I can never stop and take a break and actually feel free.

But none of this is to say that I am not happy with how much freedom I feel I have. I know we're all lucky here not to have to worry about bombs and stuff like that. Anyways, the bottom line is, I have enough freedom to keep me satisfied and quiet .
This strikes me as being at the heart of how powerful interests manage to intrude on liberty, our privacy, and our values without our objecting, and how we allow for injustice to happen all around us and to us with our acquiescence. We are allowed just enough to keep us from truly standing up and protesting the abuses others commit in our name.

1 comment:

Sean Park said...

i agree with what Betty said 100%. Honestly these days, i don't really think about freedom much because it feels like something that i already have and i don't have to worry too much about losing it because there isn't anything really serious going on around me that directly has as effect on me. This previous essay we wrote was the first time i really took the time to think about the freedom I had. Even these ads we went over during class are quite new to me. I never really took the time to analyze an ad like that till this class started and i am actually quite amazed at how much you can discover from studying an ad.