Tuesday, July 17, 2007

As I am reading this book and listening to conversations in class, I am noticing something that I had already noticed in the past but I had not paid attention to it until now. Our lives just like Winston's, it is all a routine: we go to school, go home, do homework, then some of us go to work, and sure there are periods in between where we do something different but for the most part it is a routine. The person that I had told this to in the past was my mom, I told her that all she did was go to work, come home, cook, eat, watch tv, go to sleep, and do the same thing all over again. I question if she was satisfied, not bored with her routine; at the time she did not give me an answer, all she told me was that that is what she had to do. Now I question my self as to whether what I am doing is worth something and now it is because I am doing all of this to graduate get a very highly paid job and enter routinely life that my parents are in. However I hope that I can do more with my life.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I love it! It's completely true! What are we doing with our lives? What we should be doing... going to school so that we can eventually make $$$$$. So, we are in a world where our main goal in life is to make money... we believe that this is what will make us happy. It's sad to think that many just go along with their lives not questioning this system we've been brought up in... or shall I say... brainwashed into? Anyway, I enjoyed your entry!!!!

Tim said...

Seriously, Martin. That was a powerful personal response to Orwell's portrayal of Winston. I think you're really on to something here; stay with it..expand! Is it possible that the world conspires to shape your experience in such a way that you adopt certain routines? Is there any way to escape?

Ann said...

This made me think of a friend of mine I took notice of them being incredibly predictable in their daily routine; depending on whichever day of the week it was it seemed like there litrally was no part of the day left unplanned. The friend eventually said that being predictable brings comfort to those that are close in their life. do our lives only revolve around ourselves or do people in our lives impact how we go about our days? do people only live for people then because ″no man is an island?″