Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Beginning and Ending of 1984

After finishing the novel "1984" by George Orwell, I am not satisfied. I thought to myself that the whole novel was balance. It was kind of like there wasn't any conclusion to the book. After breaking Winston, he now abides the party and so does Julia. After discussing 1987 and how reliable/unreliable Winston is, Professor Maxwell, discusses how there was no conclusion to the show, "The Soprano's". I thought that in my mind as well, "1984"(the novel) was kind of a "no conclusion" kind of thing. Overall, "1984", was an interesting and enjoyable novel to read. I hope you've also enjoyed the book too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I'm not satisfied with the ending too. I think if you watch the movie, you'll be a little more satisfied. lol

Alan said...

The ending is particularly depressing, as Winston's intellectual and emotional journey come to an end pretty fast. In fact, one may say that O'Brien built him up (by giving him 'the book') just to be able to knock him down more easily.

I think the book is a classic, in the way that it resembles a good symmetrical balance of overall plot. While the books we're used to reading have a setting-conflict-resolution structure that ends satisfactorily (good guy wins, or cool bad guy wins), this one presents a similar structure, but the resolution is one that satisfies Orwell (and Tim) and is not what we're used to reading. In a way, Orwell sacrifices satisfying us in his quest to portraying the story of Winston as he imagined it.