Thursday, July 26, 2007

is "honest recruitment" an oxymoron?

The midterm today...booger. And not just because it was an in-class essay. I wrote something about how there needed to be a change in military's unethical recruitment strategies, but I'm being a big hypocrite. It's not like I have any better ideas...none that are in the least bit plausible.

Since the threat of a draft has been removed (at least for now), the military has begun "fishing" for recruits in high school and college campuses. It's annoying as hell and some of their tactics are pretty reprehensible, but I wonder what I would've done in their place. How can you tell people about the ugly side of being a soldier and the truth about the war - and still get them to volunteer their lives? Is there a fair and honest way to get enough recruits to supply our nation's army, or are the words "honest," "fair," and "recruitment" incompatible?

3 comments:

Alan said...

Very good observation, and I agree that there's a fine line between the duty to fill their quota, and their duty to do so in honest terms.
I really don't know of any solutions to the issue of unethical recruitment, but I think it's a big positive step to demonstrate our discontent through letters to our local political representative. I'm sure they have more information and resources to figure out a plan to address this issue.

Kayte said...

I came to the exact same conclusion with mine! It certainly made writing the essay hard! And in class no less! I had to try my best to sort out all the glaring contradictions without immediately disproving what I had a said a sentence earlier...

Linda said...

Yes, i agree i also felt like i was being a hypocrite by saying that it's bad when recruiters go to schools and colleges.