Sunday, July 15, 2007

Driving and the Radio

Today as I was driving to work, I was listening to live 105, not because I like that station, but because my brother took my ipod adapter and I couldn’t listen to my own music. As I turned from Lawrence to Saratoga, they began playing a Likin’ Park song, the one from the end credits of Transformers. I pulled into the lot and had the car off before the song ended and thought nothing of it.

After work, I turned on my car, and once again the same song was playing, almost exactly where it left off five hours prior.

I know this sounds random, but whenever this happens I am always curious. We aren’t quite living in a society as is found in 1984, one where we are always watched, but these events always strike me as odd. It is very much like the “Truman Show”, as if I am being watched by an audience and maybe on today’s show, there was a commercial break while I was at work, and the show continued as I climbed back into my car. I also thought about Newspeak, or the numbing of society they are hoping for in 1984. Everyday it seems the variety found on the radio, and even TV is decreasing. TV shows are very alike and “alternative” rock consists of a handful of bands. Even with all this, I am still hopeful. On occasion a new show, or radical new group arrives on the scene, and are often embraced because we as consumers of media are constantly looking for new ideas to consume.

2 comments:

Essayvato said...

that is weird the same thing happend to me except with the song get it shorty by loyd i would change it to 94.9 and that song was on, then i would change to to 106.1 and the same song was there what if there putting the same message in differnt types of music that some scary shit.

Linda said...

yea that is weird. is has happend to me to three radio stations wher playing the same song