Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Advertising in the 21th Century and beyond?

After watching the video on the advertising strategies yesterday, I was really shocked at how far the companies were willing to go to finding the holy grail of the consumer industry. It's really shocking how just several individual words can actually create a desire in the customer's mind and motivate them into purchase. They didn't reveal what the secret behind "luxury" was but I mean it couldn't have been more than just a set of ideas and guidelines and here we had huge companies such as Boeing spending millions of dollars purchasing these secrets from a man who believes it is the key to the ultimate prize. It's simply amazing. It also talked about how customers develop immunities to advertisements and I am thinking to myself what happens when customers become immune to the newer methods of advertising? I mean it's scary as it already that they are implementing advertisements into movies, but wow, it really comes down to us. I really understand what the guy meant in the end that the secret to advertising is to make the customers convince themselves. We really are the ones in control here.

2 comments:

Randy said...

Wow, you could call that, like, "self control," or, "self awareness," or something...

Zack said...

Watching this movie made me feel bad about being in sales, and make me feel "dirty" because I guess I am exploiting people. Its not like I work at Walmart, and we are true "no pressure" sales people, just getting people what they want, but with this, I am part of all the clutter.