Tuesday, July 3, 2007

A New Beginning

First off let me say I am not a blogger but agree this is a pretty cool way to get in touch with the opinions and ideas of our class. Not everyone is going to be talkative and let their voice be heard during lecture and discussion, but writing and posting will be easier and allow more voices to be heard. I am looking forward to a new source of daily reading.

Anyways, the Tommy Girl ad was an interesting way to introduce the class. At first glance it posses nothing really special. It’s just another advertisement, one we have seen many times and begin to ignore, something we seem to do often in our lives, just walking by without a concern of meaning.

As Tim presented his argument on why this ad was so bad I couldn’t help but think he was going too far, that it was only an ad. What effect does can only one have? Well once he showed how everything was carefully planned, from the flag to the setting in a diner, her hands and even the shape as well as placement of the perfume it began to make some sense. It was provocative and inappropriate, but we weren’t ready to admit that because this type of thinking was something new. Even if everything in it was random and purely chance placement, there were new possibilities and this idea was in the back of my mind. What if Tim was right?

While one ad is certainly not going to be what this class is about, I am excited for what it will bring. Looking at everything with detail and trying to extract the true meaning is going to change the way many of us look at the world. Well even if it doesn’t, any time I see a Tommy Hilfiger ad I will remember the first day of class.

1 comment:

Randy said...

Hey Zach, I'm not sure who you are, but I agree, this is a great way for the people who are generally less vocal to get their ideas out and participate.

I'm the skinny white kid with the shaggy hair, and as you may have noticed, I don't have a problem being vocal. I do have a problem sounding intelligent or saying what I mean to, however. I find that I do a lot better expressing myself in writing for whatever reason, so this should be sweet. I'm outie.