Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Following Your Bliss

Bliss. It's something more profound than happiness. It's the feeling of true contentment which roots from the heart. Wouldn't it be great to have that kind of feeling? Isn't it worth pursuing?

But which path should we take to get there? Is it the path that makes our parents happy, the one which most of our peers take, or the path that society compels us to walk on? Have we considered the path that is etched into our hearts but is suppressed to give way to others' expectations of what we should be?

I remember in my senior year, my teacher gave us an exercise to write down how we want to be remembered when we die. Most of us wrote, "...a perfect son/daughter", "..a great friend", "..a good citizen" etc. Most of us thought of living up to others' (family, friends, society) expectations.

Have we thought of what we really want to do, how we want to live or what we want to be? Don't we want to be remembered as someone brave enough to stand up for what he/she believes in, and live up the desires of his/her heart?

Are we anywhere near the path leading to "BLISS?"

I'm not invoking anything here. I just wanted to spill out my thoughts...

See you all in class.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Commenting on your 2nd paragraph: How can we ever be too sure that the path we may think of as bliss is not just something that has been engrained in us to be bliss?

example: I love law and I look foward to pursuing a career in it, but at the same time I've grown up around it and it's been glorified to the point where I am no longer sure if I'm pursuing law because I truly do find my "bliss" in it or because I was brought up in a family that has always put great emphasis on it