Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Tommy Girl

Professor Tim's argument regarding the Tommy Girl Ad: "The particular Ad depicts racism and indecency and is deeply offensive an African American Females"
When I first saw that ad, I already felt that something was wrong in it. I just can't specifically tell which. So, I just waived the thought off my mind since we weren't talking about that picture yet that particular time.
But after the discussion, and hearing everyone comment, I couldn't help but tell myself, "that's what's wrong!" The ad is undeniably indecent and racist. I'd say it was intentionally made that way for there could be no other way that the ad would have turned the same way since every ad that's being brought to public was carefully planned and scrutinized. Therefore, there's no way the maker of the ad could have missed the message the perfume ad was conveying.

2 comments:

Melody said...

I agree that we discussed ONE possible interpretation of the ad in class. The ad seems to have multiple layers of possible meanings and interpretations - what you get from it depends on how many layers you peel away.

mina said...

Like you said, I thought there was something strange about the ad before we even discussed it. There was something strange about it, but I would have never interpereted the ad in that way without the discussion we had yesterday.