Sunday, August 5, 2007

Torture...

So after i read this essay on torture, i kept on thinking to myself if torture really is the way to handle things. I eventually came to the conclusion that torture definitely is necessary in many cases. If there is a mass murderer out there and the only way to make him stop is through major torturing, isn't it quite plain and simple that the mass murderer is going to have to be tortured? I have had many debates in my high school classes about the death sentence and i sometimes think that the death sentence is a major torture itself. In America, the person who is convicted is informed about the day on which he or she will be executed but in some other parts of the world, the prisoner will be woken up randomly early in the morning and be told that the "time" has come. Living your everyday life not knowing when you will suddenly be woken up in the morning to be killed seems like a one of the major forms of torture. Some people may not agree with me but when negotiating with the "terrorist" does not work, there is no choice but to use some form of torture on the terrorist in order to settle things.

3 comments:

Kayte said...

Yeah, reading this essay was definitely like preaching to the converted for me.

Zack said...

I cannot agree. How do we even know torture will work? I mean if a terrorist stands strong in their beliefs, what is a little pain to he or she? If they believe in their cause, some pain, even death is acceptable. If we allow torture, the practice would certainly be abused.

Emily said...

I'll have to partially agree with you and with Zack. Although I do believe that torture should be used in these cases, I am hesitant that it would work. For instance, if the high jackers of the flights that caused 911 were caught, do you think torture would work on them? Probably not since they were already willing to kill themselves and others for their cause.