Monday, August 6, 2007

The Debate

Debates are only fun when you actually have a strong point to argue. I don't think that switching sides was the best idea... more interesting points would have surfaced if we hadn't.
Anyway, in regards to the whole "drug" comment... that was all me... don't blame the group!!!! But, it did give us something more interesting to debate about than just going in circles and repeating everything that we had just covered right? Oh well, anyway, seemed like a good idea at the time. And for the record, I do believe that it is a type a torture.
I was surprised to see that the class was almost split down the middle on such a harsh subject. I have always been for torture when it comes to certain situations. Most of the arguments made referred to the war, but when I think of torture I think about it more as in what we do to our own people, not our enemies. I know... that sound horrible right? But what if a child molester, a rapist, or a serial killer got caught, immediately confessed, but had hidden a few of their victims? Should you cut them a deal because they're EXTRA evil???? NO!... You should find other means to save the victims and punish the evil person and if that means torture, then so be it! You may say... wow Emily, you watch too much Law & Order and CSI... but the truth is that there are a lot of bad people out there in the world and they shouldn't necessarily be protected by our government.
One thing that did tip my view a bit was the outcome of torturing an enemy of war, knowing that in return our soldiers would be bestowed with the same type of treatment. One question though, are out soldiers safe from torture (even if we don't use it on our enemies)? If I knew the answer to that question, I would be able to make up my mind pretty quickly. It is because of all the different consequences resulting from torture that I would change my vote on the subject, not because of morals or "humane treatment."

4 comments:

Kayte said...

I didn't even know truth serum existed for real. All that came to mind for me was veritaserum from the Harry Potter books... Hooray for being ill-informed!

Sherwin said...

I disagree... I probably switch my opinion to the other side. I think i'll be able to have more claims to debate upon on.

Aleli Ann said...

Like Kayte, I've known only of the veritaserum and wasn't sure if something like it existed for real. But if it does, I hope it doesn't have a longterm negative side effect so that it can legally be used to solve this debate about torture. If it's proven safe, then there's nothing to worry about. Only the guilty will be afraid of it.
I am for torture, only for the "greater good". I mean, if there's another way that is less violent to prevent these evil things from happening, I'd prefer that over torture.

Alan said...

I do agree that more passionate arguments could have come if we had stayed in our original stance. Nonetheless, I think that it was very fun to be arguing against yourself, really, and I found it astonishing the rate of people that actually changed sides!